Sunday, May 29, 2005

Surviving my fall

The launch did not go as planed. It turns out that the design is working but the material used is not. The wing need to be stiffer and yet resilient to damage. Being a test model I have achieved flight but the flights where to short to register a controlled flight. All but one. After several launches and ajustment to the CG (center gravity) by shifting the battery weight I identified what I think it to be the CG. This particular launch the plane flew straight and was demonstrating a need to drop... So full up on the elevators and the control seemed to adjust the altitude before touching ground. This was my first sign or controlled flight. After patching and field repair where made I would make an other attempt to fly the plane. This design is presenting some difficulties in identifying the problems due to the unusual configuration of the tail and body. I am certain this will fly once I rebuild the wings by using more rigid materials to prevent bending the wing tips. The ailerons need to be made of a more rigid material other than DEPRON. I'm thinking of balsa as the replacement, Maybe .... If I insert a solid leading edge to the wings this may correct the bending problem on the wing tips.

No comments: